If you want to advertise your apartment to sublease for the summer, the best option is to post it on the U of I Facebook page.
You need to determine the dates of the sublease (ending date must be August 8th or sooner) and the amount of rent you would like (remember you have already paid your last month’s rent in advance). Generally, if you receive ½ of your rent for a sublease that is a good agreement. If you can get more, then great!
You also need to decide if you would like for them to pay a deposit or not. It is up to you, but if they do not pay a deposit, then you are responsible for the condition of the apartment when they leave.
Once you have found someone, schedule an appoint with our office to come in and sign a sublease agreement. The new people can come at the same time with you, or separately. If they are not in town, we can e-mail the sublease agreement to them. We recommend you have them pay something at the time they sign the agreement; either the deposit or at least one month’s rent.
If you know you want to sublease, let us know and we will put you on our list and if we receive inquiries for subleasing, we will refer them to you.
- Smith Apartments will turn on electric/gas with Ameren Power Co. starting Aug. 15th if you have provided us with the name of the resident for service. Otherwise, contact Ameren at www.ameren.com or 800-755-5000.
- Turn on Water: You will need to contact Illinois American Water Co. at www.amwater.com or 800-422-2782 by July 15th to turn on starting Aug. 15th
- AT&T: phone – 800-660-3000; highspeed internet, U-verse TV 800-288-2020
- Comcast: Cable TV and highspeed internet – 866-594-1234
- PAVLOV media: internet – 888-472-8568 (not available at 604 & 610 Stoughton, 53 Chalmers)
Living in Your Apartment
LIST OF FURNITURE: (for furnished apartments only)
- Sofa and 1 or 2 sofa chairs
- Coffee table and/or 1 or 2 end tables and 1 or 2 lamps
- Each bedroom has a bed, chest, desk and chair, and nightstand
- Dining table and 3 or 4 chairs (53 Chalmers – barstools only)
- Microwave (NOT included at 58 Armory, 604 & 610 Stoughton, 1106 Second, 507 & 511 Church, 1010 Clark, 508 Park, 910 Webber and 2526 Leeper locations)
- Garbage disposal and dishwasher (some units)
- Smoke detector & Fire extinguisher
- Drapes or blinds
Allow drapes or blinds to hang free – keep beds and desks back a little.
To move desks, dressers, etc. lift, do not drag; it will break legs or supports.
- Vacuum cleaner – upright with brush (vacuum at least every other week)
- Swiffer Wetjet, or comparable mop to clean kitchen floor
- Broom and dustpan
- Shower curtain
- Toilet cleaner, brush, and plunger
- Bath rugs
- Mattress pad to cover mattress
- Cutting board
- Carpets by the front door, inside and outside